Note: The following information was drawn from multiple sources, many of which can be found in the Alameda County Library, Dublin Branch. For additional information, please speak with the Reference Library staff. Local history, especially Dublin’s history, can often have conflicting information and dates. Since much of this information came from newspapers which often relied on only one or two people’s memories for sources of information, please be careful about using this information. Most of the locations mentioned below can be found within Dublin, California’s current city limits.
Any suggestions to correct or add information would be greatly appreciated. You can send corrections and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an explanation and a source or reference with any suggestion or correction.
1772 – Spanish Army Lieutenant Pedro Fages and Father Juan Crespi, with 16 soldiers and others, travel through area along route similar to San Ramon Road and Foothill Road.(i) Prior to this time, and for a long time afterward, Native Americans lived throughout what later became known as the Amador, San Ramon and Livermore valleys.
1775 - De Anza settlers arrived in Alta California from Mexico.
1776 – East coast English colonies declared their independence from King George III.
1797 – As part of mission development throughout California, Father Lasuen, a member of the Franciscan Order of the Roman Catholic Church, established Mission San Jose. (ii)
1821 – Mexico declared its independence from the Spanish Empire.
1834 - Missions in Mexico and California are secularized and the land divided between many individuals.
1835 - Jose Maria Amador, former Mexican soldier and former senior official at Mission San Jose, is granted four square leagues (about 17,000 acres) of land and builds several adobe buildings. Amador had about 150 workers (including Native Americans) running a ranch with several thousand cattle and some vegetable farming. His ranch complex included a two story adobe home (160 feet long) and other small adobe buildings to make soap, harness, saddles, blankets and some farm implements. The adobe was located on what became the northwestern corner of Dublin Blvd. and San Ramon Road.
1846 – War started between the United States and Mexico. Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon, with his family, arrived at Mission San Jose. They may have been part of the same wagon train as the ill-fated Donner Party but separated from that group at Fort Bridger.
1848 – Gold is discovered in California.(iii) The Mexican-American war ends. California is annexed by the United States.
1849 – A huge influx of people arrived in California seeking gold.
1850 - California became the 31st state within the United States.
1851 - Murray and Fallon returned from gold mines and bought 1,000 acres of land from Amador. Murray built a house near what is now the intersection of San Ramon Blvd. and Donlon Way.(iv)
1853 – Alameda County is formed out of parts of Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties. Alameda County was subdivided into four townships and this area became Murray Township. The township was named after Michael Murray.(v) James Witt Dougherty and his partner, William Glaskin, bought 10,000 acres of land from Amador. The Dougherty family later lived in the Amador adobe.
1854 – Murray School started as the first school in eastern Alameda County. Charles Crane started teaching in the old Alviso adobe. (vi)
1855 - Dougherty became the first elected County Supervisor for Murray Township. Prior to this the county had a different organizational structure.
1859 - St. Raymond's Catholic Church construction completed. The land for the church and cemetery was donated by Murray and Fallon, although the land ownership was contested by Dougherty. During construction one of the volunteers, Tom Donlon, fell from the roof and died. His was the first formal burial in the cemetery, although there had been burials in the churchyard before then. (vii)
1860 - Dedication of St. Raymond's Catholic Church. John Green opened a General Store at what is now Dublin Blvd. and Donlon Way. (viii)The Amador Hotel was built and became a stopping place for stagecoaches that ran between Oakland, Hayward and Stockton and between Martinez and San Jose. (ix)Scarlett and Grandlees opened a hotel. (x) Dublin may have been the first town in the township. (xi)
1861 – The American Civil War started.
1862 - Dougherty built an inn which he named Dougherty's Station (alternately known as Dougherty’s Inn). Green purchased Murray's property and Murray moved to San Francisco.
1863 - A large earthquake caused much damage throughout the county, including heavily damaging the Amador adobe.
1865 – The American Civil War ended.
1866 – St. Raymond’s Church has its first wedding. Ellen Fallon (Jeremiah Fallon’s daughter) married William Tehan.(xii) Local residents formed the Murray School District.
1869 – Murray School house opened. It was the first school in Alameda County after the state’s formation. (xiii)
1868 – Thomas Wells moved to Dublin and operated a blacksmith shop.
1870 – Dublin had two hotels, a general store and a wagon shop, a black smithy and a shoemaker shop in addition to a church and school. The post office was called Dougherty’s Station and the postmaster was William Granless. (xiv)
1871 - Peter Rasmussen emigrated from Denmark, one of a number of new immigrants coming from Northern Europe.
1873 – The Tehan family operated the Amador Valley Hotel, which is located on the northwest corner of what is now Donlon Way and Dublin Blvd.
1875 – The post office was called Dougherty’s Station and the postmaster was S. Werteimer.(xv)
1879 – J. W. Dougherty died. By this time, his family was one of the largest landowners in the area with over 17,000 acres. Much of this land was east of the Dublin crossroads.
1894 – Green sold the general store to the Kolb family. That continued a trend of changes in land and business ownership and business. John C. Bonde came to Dublin from Denmark. He took over operation of the Dougherty Station Inn.
1899 – John Green built a new, larger house next to the small original Murray home, which he had purchased. These houses were near the southeast corner of what is now Donlon Way and Dublin Blvd.
1906 - John Niedt bought the Amador property (near the northwest corner of what is now Dublin Blvd. and San Ramon Road) from the Dougherty estate. A large earthquake caused damage throughout the San Francisco Bay area. Local farmers sent aid and assistance to San Francisco. According to one account, automobiles began to use the Hayward-Stockton and San Jose – Martinez roads. Rural mail delivery started from Hayward.
1907 – J. W. Dougherty’s son laid out a plan for a new town, to be called Dougherty. The planned town was located near the intersection of Dougherty Road and the Hayward-Stockton road (later known as the Lincoln Highway, Highway 50 and Interstate 580).
1908 – The Dublin post office closed. The post office had various names up to this point including Dougherty Station, Dougherty and Dublin. Over time the post office was located in either one of the hotels or the General Store.
1912 – PG&E began extending its electricity lines from Castro Valley along Dublin Road.
1914 – Peter Rasmussen built a new house in Dublin. A library opened in the general store.(xvi) Road improvements from Hayward to Dublin began. Dublin had two hotels, two stores, shops, schools, and churches.(xvii) War began in Europe.
1915 - The Niedt family moved into the old Dougherty home. The Dublin Garage was built on the south side of Dublin Blvd. to take advantage of the increasing automobile traffic going through Dublin.
1917 - The United States entered the war in Europe.
1918 – The general store changed ownership again when Arthur Reimer took over. The war in Europe (later known as World War I) ends.
1922 - Henry Bevilaqua came to Dublin, and with Bertola, succeeded Bonde as proprietors of Dougherty's Station. St. Raymond's Church received repairs.
1930 - Road in front of Green's Store widened. The Lincoln Highway, Stockton to Dublin segment improved. Dublin continued to be primarily an agricultural area.
Dublin Canyon, undated
Courtesy of the Lincoln Highway Digital Image Collection, University of Michigan
1934 - Dublin had a school, a church, two hotels, a grocery store, a blacksmith shop, five gas stations and a library. Dublin Boulevard, now part of the Lincoln Highway (later Highway 50), had businesses on both sides of the street.
1941 – About 200 people lived around Dublin. Following the Pearl Harbor attack, the United States declared war on Japan. Germany soon declared war on the US.
1942 – US Navy began appraising and acquiring land around Dublin and Livermore. Construction started for a new base several miles east of the Dublin crossroads. Construction expanded to two additional bases with navy property running from Dougherty Road to Tassajara Road along Highway 50.
1943 – The Naval Construction Battalion Rest and Recuperation Center (later named Camp Parks) started operation.(xviii) First Seabees arrived. Naval Personnel Distribution Center (later named Camp Shoemaker) started operation. Shoemaker Naval Hospital (1,000 beds later increased to 3,000 beds) started operation. By the end of the year, approximately 60,000 naval personnel were at the three bases.
1944 – The Shoemaker Naval Disciplinary Barracks (also known as the Brig) began operation.(xix) All bases were at planned capacity with approximately 70,000 naval personnel there on any given day. Tens of thousands more personnel passed through the bases on way to service in the Pacific. Some sailors from Port Chicago are incarcerated in the brig.
1945 – The war ended in Europe. More tens of thousands of naval personnel passed through bases on their way to fight in the Pacific. The war ended in the Pacific. Camp Shoemaker became the main center for discharging naval personnel on West Coast. As many as a thousand sailors a day were discharged.
1946 – Camp Parks (Seabee base) closed.(xx) Shoemaker Naval Hospital closed. Camp Shoemaker continued to discharge thousands of sailors from Navy service. The Navy brig closed. Camp Shoemaker closed later in the year. Alameda County took over the Navy brig facilities and opened the San Rita Rehabilitation Center.(xxi)
1947 – The War Assets Administration started to sell off old buildings at Camp Parks and Camp Shoemaker through public auctions.
1948 – The Alameda County Library Dublin Branch closed at the General Store (which was commonly known as the Green Store).
1951 – The US started combat operations in Korea. Construction began of new buildings for the US Air Force Base on old Camp Parks’ property. Parks Air Force Base (AFB) began operations. Construction of Highway 580 began to replace Highway 50.
1952 – The Air Force basic training began at Parks AFB. Later air base defense training and personnel replacement depot operations began.
1953 – Parks Community Service District held its first meeting.(xxii) An armistice was arranged in Korea.
1954 – Parks AFB construction completed.
1957 – The US Air Force began to end activities at Parks AFB.
1958 – Parks AFB identified as no longer needed by the Air Force.
1959 – The US Army established Camp Parks as a stand-by facility under the control of the US Sixth Army, Presidio, San Francisco. The Volk-McLain Corporation continued buying farmland with the goal of building residential and commercial buildings.
1960 – Dublin remained largely a farming crossroads. The Volk-McLain Corporation built San Ramon Village, the first large residential housing development (374 houses) in the area. A shopping center was built near the intersection of Amador Valley Blvd. and San Ramon Road. The Village Pioneer, the newspaper later known as Tri-Valley News, began publication. Parks Services District renamed itself as the Valley Community Services District.(xxiii) It provided water, sewer, fire protection, recreation and parks and other services.
1961 - Dublin Elementary School opened. The Dublin Hotel (in what is now the Dublin Heritage Park) burned down. It was one of the few remaining early buildings.
1963-1965 – An effort by local residents to incorporate and found a city of Dublin failed by a small margin.
1964 – Local residents sought to repair and renovate the now unused, old St. Raymond's Church. Dublin opened its first new Post Office since 1908 in the Shamrock Shopping Center. Fallon Elementary School opened.
1965 - John Knox Presbyterian Church moved to a new building on Amarillo Road.
1966 – The third version of Murray Elementary School opened in January. The Valley Community Services District received the old school for use as a recreation center. Nielsen School opened. Foremost Dairy Research Center opened. A new St. Raymond's Catholic Church opened on Shannon Avenue. The Amador-Livermore Valley Historical Society received the original St. Raymond Church in order to restore and preserve it. The Dublin Public Library (portable) opened on Vomac Road.(xxiv) A drive-in theater opened. Kolb Park, perhaps the first park in Dublin, opened. Highway 680 through Dublin opened.
1967 - Fredericksen School opened. Hexcel Products, Inc. opened on Dublin Blvd. The last of the old pioneer homes (Murray/Green House) burned down. Interstate 680 completed.
1968 - Besco School opened. Lydiksen School opened. Kodak Distribution opened on Alcosta Blvd. at Village Parkway. Crown Chevrolet opened on Dublin Blvd. Valley Community Services District built Shannon Community Center.(xxv) Kentucky Fried Chicken and Foster Freeze restaurants were built on Amador Valley Road. One estimate claims Dublin has about 17,000 residents.
1969 - Cronin Elementary School opened. An indoor theater opened in Dublin. Dublin High School opened on Village Parkway.
1970 - Old St. Raymond's Church received a new steeple as part of its restoration. Besco school children chose the name "Donlon" for their school's permanent name. The Dublin Public Library moved into new and larger quarters on Village Parkway. Frank McCluskey, Lord Mayor of Dublin Ireland and his wife visited Dublin, California, as part of a sister city arrangement. Another estimate says the population of Dublin was 13,641.
1971 – Dublin (CA) resident Dr. Charles Fisher visits Dublin, Ireland, representing the Jaycees. Wells Intermediate School opened. Mervyn's Department store opened. Valley Christian Church opened an elementary school in a surplus school building. Dublin’s first elevator constructed.
1972 – Casper’s Hot Dog restaurant opened.
1973 - Howard Johnson's Mortorlodge opened in December. The first stoplights were put up. Another city incorporation effort started.
1974 - Dublin voters created a special library district to expand the Dublin Public Library. The Dublin Swim Center opened on Village Parkway. The US Department of Justice opened a federal correction institution near Camp Parks.
1975 - Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) busses began service from Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore to Hayward and Bayfair stations. Western Electric announced plans to close. A roller skating rink opened in the original Safeway store building on Amador Valley Blvd. An ice skating rink opened in a new building on San Ramon Road. Caltrans started widening Highway 580. Concerned citizens started the Dublin Historical Preservation Association (DHPA) in order to save the original Murray School (located on Dublin Canyon Road) which was at risk due to highway construction. Caltrans donated the building to DHPA. It was moved to stand next to old St. Raymond's Church near the Dublin Pioneer Cemetery. The area became the Dublin Heritage Center.
1976 – Heavy snow fell in and around Dublin. As part of a training exercise, local fire departments accidentally burned down the Fallon house, one of the last pioneer family homes.
1977 – Another city incorporation effort started. The Valley Community Services District changed its name to Dublin San Ramon Services District.
1979 - The Dublin Public Library moved to a new, bigger building on Amador Valley Blvd.
1980 - Camp Parks was deactivated and reactivated as Parks Reserved Forces Training Area. Dublin had at least 45 bars and restaurants, 14 gas stations, 34 auto repair ships, 550-600 local businesses, 13,496 residents, 3,644 single family homes and 480 multiple residence units.
1981 – Dublin residents, on their third effort, voted to incorporate as a city.
1982 – Dublin became a city. Pete Snyder elected city’s first mayor. Dublin got its own zip code (94568). Valley Christian Church opened a high school on its campus on Dublin Blvd. Kommandorski Village, last of the World War II era buildings in the city was demolished. A new low income housing project (Arroyo Vista) started construction.
1983 – GEMCO opened in Dublin. Ross Store opened in the former Liberty House building.
1986 - St. Raymond's Catholic Church opened an elementary school at their campus on Shannon Way.
1988 - The elementary and high schools unified under the Dublin Unified School District. The Dublin Senior center opened in the old Fallon School multipurpose room. The City of Dublin assumed control of the Dublin Sports Grounds and Shannon Community Center. The Kodak distribution center closed.
1989 - Alameda County opened the new Santa Rita Jail, which replaced the old jail near Tassajara Creek and Highway 580. Dublin Civic Center opened on Dublin Blvd.
1990 – Dublin had 23,229 residents.
1991 – The rebuilt Shannon Community Center opened.
1992 – The 10th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Dublin.
1994 – An auditorium used for local sports near Camp Parks burned down in a massive fire.
2000 – Dublin had 29,973 residents.
2002 – The 20th anniversary of Dublin’s incorporation.
2003 – The Dublin Library opened in a new building near the Civic Center.
2005 – A new Senior Center opened on Amador Valley Blvd.
2010 – Dublin had 46,036 residents.
2012 – The 30th anniversary of Dublin’s incorporation.